Nigerian Imports – Form “M” Requirements
- The consignee is required to provide the Nigerian bank with ALL the details of the shipment BEFORE the cargo leaves the origin
- The bank needs information such as commodity, HS code, quantity, supplier’s details, Airport/Port of Loading, Airport/Port of Discharge and a proforma invoice of the goods to be transported.
- The consignee will also insure the goods to be shipped for 110% of the value of the shipment.
- When all this is done, the bank issues a document called ‘Form M’ and presents the same to the inspection agencies such as COTECNA/SGS (inspection/examination bodies).
- The inspection agency would assess the information and approve if details are satisfactory.
- Until then the consignee cannot conclude transactions with the shipper at the origin.
- Once details are confirmed as satisfactory, the document is issued to the consignee by the bank with a unique transaction number.
- The consignee sends a copy of the document to the shipper.
- The shipper is required to indicate this number in the description column of the Air waybill (AWB) or Bill of Lading (B/L)
- It is important that the number quoted on the AWB or B/L is the same as the one on the original form; Any discrepancy would require an amendment to the AWB or B/L which could be at a cost or may considerably delay cargo release
- In cases where the commodities in GCSS are “used spare parts” these are commercial goods, and definitely require a Form M.
- Diplomatic cargo (of reasonable quantity), Personal effects, goods shipped in by Government agencies or goods shipped into Free Trade Zones in Nigeria(Calabar Free Trade Zone (CFTZ)) usually do not require Form M.
For further information you can follow this link to the NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE (NCS) Website
Ryde Saints FC – Champions!
Ryde Saints FC strive for success – with the support of Southampton Freight Read More
Attending the TFC Conference in Penang
We attend the TFC annual conference in Penang to further cement current and establish new connections across the world of freight forwarding. Read More
Their ability to work to tight deadlines is fantastic and they have actively helped save our team money. SFS are my first point of call when I need to arrange shipments Read More
you honestly are the best Courier I’ve ever come across Read More
it is a breath of fresh air to deal with professional people! Read More
I will not hesitate to recommend the efficient services of your company to all my customers and friends Read More
impressed by the way a little account like ours with such small infrequent packages are treated as though we are the most important customer you have Read More