Importing Personal Effects into the UK

May 25, 2017  |  

Importing Personal Effects

As of the 1st April 2017, all importers of personal effects, including private motor vehicles, will be required to obtain a Unique Declaration number (UDN) prior to departing from overseas, and include the UDN provided by HMRC on the bill of lading.

As of Jan 1st 2021, post Brexit, the same applies for moving between the UK and the EU.

The link below to the HM Customs website will direct you to the ‘Application for Transfer of Residence (ToR) relief’. This replaces the C3 form that was previously required.

Click here

Application for TOR Link


It has been advised that when completing the application, this should be saved as a PDF form and emailed to (the applicant should also include their email address for further communication to speed up the process). The same process also applies for movements via airfreight.

If you would like any further information or assistance, please contact our import team on 02380 860999 or email

Soton Freight on Facebook

Unable to display Facebook posts.
Show error

Error: Error validating application. Application has been deleted.
Type: OAuthException
Code: 190
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.